- You need to register a client on MyPage before you can access the API.
- Create an access token using client_credentials, and send this as a bearer token header.
Table of contents:
This page is intended for software developers who would like to access our API in order to build their own applications based on data gathered and combined by Barentswatch.
Prerequisites, licencing and crediting
To use the BarentsWatch API you have to register your application with BarentsWatch. Please see: https://www.barentswatch.no/om/apnedata/
How to connect to the Barentswatch API.
The BarentsWatch API supports Open ID Connect flows (client credentials, authorization code, and device code).
You can register your own client connected to your user. To to so you must first create a user and log in at https://www.barentswatch.no/minside/
Self registered clients only supports Open ID Connect's client_credentials flow. You have to contact BarentsWatch to set up other types of clients.
The OpenID discovery document is here: https://id.barentswatch.no/.well-known/openid-configuration (production).
How to request an access token
You need ClientID and ClientSecret from self-registration on MyPage/Minside, or obtained from BarentsWatch.
How to use the access token
An application can obtain a token for use with the BarentsWatch API by posting a token request via HTTPS to https://id.barentswatch.no/connect/token:
- Use HTTPS POST
- URL must be id.barentswatch.no/connect/token
- Header 'content-type' must be 'application/x-www-form-urlencoded'
- Body must have four key-value pairs, separated by ampersand (&):
- Key 'grant_type' must have value 'client_credentials'
- Key 'client_id' must have your full client ID as value, which is often written like this: email@example.com:myclient. If your client does not url-encode automatically, you must url-encode it like this: myusername%40example.com%3Amyclient
- Key 'client_secret' must have a client secret you have created, as value.
- Key 'scope' must have value 'api'
Example request, using curl:
Example success response:
How to use your access token to access the API
This is an example request to the BarentsWatch API to get available forecast times for a particular fairway.
The same request using curl:
These external websites might be useful for developers:
- List of OAuth libraries: https://oauth.net/code/
- About client_credentials grant https://www.oauth.com/oauth2-servers/access-tokens/client-credentials/
How to log in to the OpenAPI documentation
You can log in to the OpenAPI-documentation with your own client.
- Go to https://www.barentswatch.no/bwapi/openapi/index.html
- Click 'Authorize'
- Below the headline "oauth2 (OAuth2, clientCredentials)":
- Replace client_id with your own client_id. It has to be URL-encoded like this: myusername%40example.com%3Amyclient. You can copy your URL-encoded client_id from MyPage/Minside.
- Enter your client_secret
- Select 'api' scope (tick the box)
- Click 'Authorize', and then 'Close'
You are now logged in.
You can select the API documentation in the dropdown-menu in the upper-right corner.